All UW locations use a contractor (currently CHEMTREC) to provide Emergency Response information. You must provide their 24-hour emergency contact: 1.800.424.9300.
You may be asked to include a contractor name and customer number. We have 26 different customer numbers for different UW locations. Email email@example.com for the contract number that applies to your location. You must also include "University of Washington" in your shipper address, which is how CHEMTREC would identify you in the event of an emergency response.
In addition to a 24-hour emergency response number, US DOT requires you to provide additional emergency response information. To comply with this requirement, either provide the material safety data sheet (MSDS) [link to Safety Data Sheets page] for the material along with your shipping paper (Declaration for Dangerous Goods) or provide the proper Emergency Response Guidebook pages for your material based upon its UN number.
In either case, whether you use the MSDS or the Emergency Response Guidebook pages, the following information must be present:
- Basic description and technical name of the hazardous material
- Immediate hazards to health
- Risks of fire or explosion
- Immediate precautions to be taken in the event of an accident or incident
- Immediate methods for handling fires
- Initial methods for handling spills or leaks in the absence of fire
- Preliminary first aid measures
If you use the Emergency Response Guidebook pages to meet the above requirements, then you need to indicate the "basic description and technical name of the hazardous material" (its proper shipping name and UN number) found on the guidebook pages.