Fire Code Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Compliance


Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) provides information, resources and tools to meet the requirements of the International Fire Code for proper storage, use and disposal of hazardous materials. Hazardous materials generally refers to chemicals, compressed gases, and cryogenic fluids that present physical and health hazards.

Labs, shops and other locations that use chemicals must comply with the hazardous materials provisions of the International Fire Code. This code limits quantities of certain chemicals based upon the physical and health hazards of the chemical, and establishes requirements for storage and use. 

Chemical inventories

The primary tool used to maintain compliance and safety is the University’s MyChem system. It compares quantities of hazardous materials present on campus to the fire code maximum allowable limits. These limits can vary by a number of factors, including the presence of fire sprinklers, location (indoor versus outdoor), storage cabinets and floor level.

Keeping a current inventory of your chemicals in MyChem allows us to monitor for compliance and prepare hazardous materials inventory statements for the fire department. The MyChem system also acts as a repository for safety data sheets used during emergencies.  

Chemical inventories are used by EH&S to assist with applications for new building permits and initial fire code operating permits. Construction project managers may contact EH&S for assistance with gathering hazardous materials inventory statement information.

Fire code permits

Depending on the quantity, certain chemical hazard classes require permits from the fire department.  

Departments with multiple labs in the same building should consider consolidating their lab permits. Consolidated permits reduce the administrative burden of permit applications, renewals and inspections for both the University and the fire department, and may also reduce permit fees. 

Permit applications and conditions that must be followed are available on the Seattle Fire Department web site.

Contact EH&S for information and assistance with permits.

Lab and research spaces

Architects and lab planners designing new lab spaces should refer to the Laboratory Design Guide on the UW Facilities Design Standard website.

General safety information associated with hazardous materials for existing lab spaces can be found in your laboratory safety manual. If your lab does not yet have a specific laboratory safety manual you can download information and a template in the UW Laboratory Safety Manual.

Services available

EH&S can help you use and store chemicals to achieve and maintain compliance with complex fire code requirements.  

Contact us for general consultation on fire code requirements for:

  • Fire code permits
  • Chemical storage
  • Toxic gas and low oxygen alarm systems
  • Separation of incompatible materials
  • Compressed gas piping and plumbing
  • Seismic protection for chemicals
  • Spill control and secondary containment
  • Emergency planning and procedures
  • Local ventilation control and vacuum systems
  • Classified electrical systems
  • Safety and warning signage

Regulation and policy

Chapter 50 of the Seattle Fire Code  

Frequently asked questions


Building and Fire Safety Contact

(206) 685-0341