Food Establishment Plan Review
Washington State food code sets standards for management and personnel, food operations, equipment and facilities. EH&S conducts food establishment plan reviews to ensure that the establishment meets state and federal regulations.
Plan review application steps
All plans for new and remodeled food service establishments must be submitted to EH&S for review and approval. This applies to leased facilities, major equipment alterations, and mobile units, such as espresso carts. This plan review ensures code compliance and promotes high standards for safety.
The application is for a permanent food service establishment plan review only.
Mobile food establishments should refer to the Mobile Food Truck Guidelines.
The plan review:
- Enables EH&S and operator to share a common understanding of the goals of the project
- Engages all stakeholders prior to food service operations
- Identifies and addresses deficiencies as early as possible
- Ensures proper layout and flow of food
- Lays the foundation for future compliance with food safety guidelines
- Promotes active managerial control of foodborne illness risk factors
Plan review requirements
The requirements for plan review can be found in chapter eight of the Washington State Retail Food Code chapter 246-215.
- Plans are required before construction, conversion of existing structure, or a remodel.
- Plan review considers specifications, such as the menu, volume of food prepared, layout and equipment.
- Plan reviews require submission of a properly completed application.
- A hazard analysis and critical control points plan is required under specific circumstances.
- The plan review includes a preoperational inspection.
Plan review application
Please contact EH&S to request a plan review application form.
An EH&S reviewer will conduct a review of the plan and provide comments, suggestions and input with ten business days.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Plan review is required when the food establishment is:
1) Newly built
2) A conversion of an existing structure or facility
3) Remodeled or there is a change in type of food establishment
4) Re-opened after being closed at least one year
Our goal is to email approval or ask additional questions within 10 business days of receiving your food establishment plan review application.